MARCH - Rock Paper Scissors Mixtape - Vol. 04
Life has put me a little behind schedule for this (last) month’s mixtape. But it will be worth the wait, I promise.
So much good music coming your way this month I don’t even know where to start, wait, actually I do…
Starting and ending this month is my fondest new music discovery in quite some time. Gleemer, this two piece from Colorado caught my attention on first listen via UK music blog Gold Flake Paint (check them out) when they premiered their new single “Tooms” around mid-March. Quickly following, I made my way over to Bandcamp to discover two more amazing albums from 2013, and EP and an LP that are both so great from start to finish that you should go over there right now and give them all your money. But seriously, do it.
Quick mentions here of a few more of the features I’m excited about this month (really I’m excited about all of them) but anyways. If you’re a fan of hip-hop then two people that should have been on your radar by now are Grieves and Budo, that used to be a single name via 2010’s “88 Keys & Counting” which introduced me to these two as a duo. I’m bringing you new solo material from both, Grieves’ new full-length released last week and Budo’s first official LP that released late 2013 although it is new to me as Grieves’ new release got me wondering what happened to Budo so I went searching and came across the absolutely fantastic “The Finger & The Moon”. Anyways, check em’ out. One of the sickest flows out of Grieves and a classically trained beatmaker with Budo (no for real, he’s classically trained and plays all the instruments on his beats including trumpet). They’re based out of Seattle.
Sydney, Australia’s Great Mob's heartfelt songwriting and beautiful arrangements is what got me listening and after reading their story via Bandcamp, I’m really happy I found this band. They deserve great things and I hope they accomplish it!
Thanks to Burgerama, I was introduced to American Culture. Another band from Colorado and they were so cool they even GAVE me a limited edition handmade cassette of their newly released EP “Actual Alien”. They were awesome live, I just wish they had more stuff online because I don’t even have a cassette player.
Alright, fuck the rambling because I know you’re not reading it anyhow. Enjoy the tunes.
*AS ALWAYS, IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINKS I’VE PROVIDED AND SUPPORT THESE ARTISTS AND THEIR MUSIC!
**This link will EXPIRE on April 14th, 2014!
01 - Gleemer - Tooms — BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Colorado’s new native sons bringing you guitar driven shoegazey dream-pop accompanied by mesmerizing vocals straight outta the Mile High City.
02 - ONWE - Unpaid Internship — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Every Williamsburg hipster’s favorite new band. Seriously, how pretentious do you have to be to make NY sound like the UK, hailing from Bushwick, BK. Since when did Brooklyn become a state? He has this two track single for sale on Bandcamp for $1,000, so I stole it.
03 - Wolf Collage - Something Like That — BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Wolf Collage is still deciding what type of music he wants to make, but while all over the place it’s all pretty stellar. So, wherever you decide to go I’ll support you.
04 - Greta Mob - The Little Champ — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- I want to call this alternative country but it’s more rock-n-roll than that. Good music, good album, glad they made it.
05 - American Culture - I Like American Culture — OFFICIAL
- I wanted to feature their single “Actual Alien” but I couldn’t find it anywhere. Punky Powerpop out of the Mile High City. See them live if you can.
06 - Grieves - Like Child — OFFICIAL iTUNES FACEBOOK
- Captivating voice as a singer and exceptional flow as a rapper. Have loved this dude since I first heard his collaboration with Budo. His entire discography is worthy of a listen.
07 - Sisyphus - Calm It Down — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Pretty awesome debut from newly born collaboration of Sufjan Stevens (how do you pronounce that), Song Lux, and Serengeti. A little soul, a little hip-hop, some synths, and just all around good vibes.
08 - The Death Rattles - In The Morning — BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Country Bluegrass from the Land Down Under. I just get a lot of reminders of things I like a lot from this debut album. Thanks to bandcamphunter for this one, actually thanks to him for a lot of things that have or will end up on these mixtapes at some point or another.
09 - James Supercave - The Afternoon (As Bad As It Seems) — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Snagged this on vinyl at their Echo residency a few weeks back. Digging these guys and they’re great live. He wears cool shoes and does an improvised moonwalk too. It’s some form of pop, souly, music.
10 - Budo - Fremont — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Master beatmaker and pretty damn good singer too. So much soul ringing from this man’s music. Horns, keys, guitars, he’s a musical genius with beautiful arrangements. His debut “The Finger & The Moon” will probably make your jaw drop.
11 - Spring King - Mumma — SOUNDCLOUD FACEBOOK
- These boys are back with a single for their Mum. And it’s a good one, in fact you should probably go play it for your own Mom. (BTW, this song isn’t really about moms, but still) Check out last years debut full length “All This Murk and Dirt”. It was one of my favorites.
12 - Vikesh Kapoor - The Ballad of Willy Robbins — OFFICIAL BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Storyteller for the ages. Title track from his debut LP, it’s the story of a working man from start to finish. I like it. Got to see him live and it was a real treat. This might be cliche but he really does kinda sound like Bob Dylan.
13 - Pinact - We Wanna Go There — BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- Lo-Fi Pop Rock greatness from the UK. These guys make me smile and make me “… wanna go there.”, wherever that may be, because it really can be ANYWHERE! Off of the amazing split comp from Reeks of Effort and Art is Hard.
14 - Gleemer - Killing Machine — BANDCAMP FACEBOOK
- I love these guys so much I had to give you two songs. Seriously, click on the fucking link and go listen to and buy the shit out of this music on Bandcamp. Their new LP Holyland, USA is due out anyday now. Little delayed for reasons yet to be announced from the band but it is coming soon and I, personally, cannot wait! Join the Gold Flake Paint singles club to get the full Tooms EP exclusively from them ahead of the full length release.