As you may have noticed at this point, I have a little non-traditional timing for the release date of these mixtapes and the corresponding month that they relate to. There’s a couple reasons for that. One being that I’m a nobody, just your average (well maybe above average) music listener so for the most part I don’t have access to tracks before they are released like a lot of publications, music blogs, etc., that also release mixtapes. The other being that I like to release them at the end of a month to represent the music I was listening to or favorite tracks from given month. There’s that. I just realized I’m pretty much the only person I’ve seen releasing their mixtape for February, at the end of the month or beginning of March. It actually makes sense to me and it sorta happened by default because I released the year-end Vol. 1 at the end of December so to have a month offset between picks and not skip January it just worked out that way.
So, with that said, we will just continue wandering into the ever exciting music year that is 2014. This month features some of my favorite artists with upcoming full length releases around the corner that I’m really excited about as well as new introductions that I’ve fallen in love with.
Cloud Nothings is about to end up on a lot of year-end lists with their “Here and Nowhere Else” release coming up on 4/1 via Mom+Pop Records in the US. Featuring the first of two singles they’ve already shared with us, I’m more that stoked for this album. One of my biggest anticipations of the year.
Also have a few other familiar faces with Blue Sky Black Death dropping an off the cuff remix of Frank Ocean’s “Pyramids”. It’s new and it’s fresh for the soul! Water Liars and Kevin Morby are both fresh off of releases that became instant classics for me and will be on heavy rotation for the long run. Water Liars brought song writing and intricate arrangements to a whole new level on this one and yet it all comes across as so simple.
Lots of other new and amazing artists, many of whom are either preparing for or coming off of impressive debut releases all bunched in with the veterans bringing us new material or new projects all together. I’m stoked to share this mix with you and I hope you are introduced to your new favorite band!
*AS ALWAYS, IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINKS I’VE PROVIDED AND SUPPORT THESE ARTISTS AND THEIR MUSIC!
**This link will EXPIRE on March 8th, 2014!
- Music that has a vintage edge with a new twist of modern production multiplied by an eclectic mix of historical influences. Debut EP “Bishouné: Alma del Huila” under this name out now on Styles Upon Styles.
- Sun-drenched dreams overshadowing a rainy day reality coming at you from Ireland via Savannah’s Graveface Records. Debut LP “Swoon” out now!
- Unique, BEYOND clever songwriting and delivery from this Australian wonder. Pure bliss is the only way to describe her dual release “The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas” out now on her very own Milk! Records.
- If Kurt Vile had a drum machine, it might sound like this. Woozy, dreamy, rock and roll out of Melbourne. New to me, a classic to some. Hardly Art brings us this awesome debut from Lost Animal.
- Songwriting at it’s best. This one is my Valentine’s gift to all you lovers out there and off of Water Liars’ third full length at S/T album that was just released a few weeks ago. Staggering followup to last years “Wyoming”. These guys will only continue to get better.
- If you don’t know who these guys are by now you may just want to climb back under the rock you’ve somehow finally managed to make it out from under. BSBD, probably the best beat production duo doin’ shit right now, period. With somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 releases under their belts, veterans would be an understatement.
- Ahhhhhhhhh, can you say boner? Dylan Baldi’s music kinda gives me one, no homo! Where songwriting and noise meet in this wonderful place we call……Rock-N-Roll, Punk, Pop, Grunge, Dirt, Lo-Fi or whatever the fuck else you wanna call it… I’ll just stick with “fucking awesome”! This is going to be an epic follow-up to 2012’s “Attack on Memory”.
- Beautifully beautiful, and kinda pretty too. All emotions combine to create this satisfying music that is Fog Lake. “Virgo Indigo” self-released and out this month. It’s a great listen, snag it on Bandcamp and be sure to click on the lyrics and sing along.
- This guy is one big ball of experimentation. First introduced through his other project Crystal Shipsss which is a lot of indecipherable noisey goodness. He has really cleaned up his production on this latest release in “Corners”. Maybe he finally decided he wanted us to hear what he’s singing about, and I’m glad, because I want to live a sweet life just like Jacob Faurholt. Oh yeah, he once covered Daniel Johnston which automatically makes him awesome in my book.
- He never ceases to amaze me, except for that time he cancelled the house show I bought tickets for two weeks ago. I’ll forgive him though. Whether it’s playing bass for Woods, singing/playing guitar in The Babies, or taking us on a short-life journey in his debut solo release via “Harlem River”, I love this guy. His voice makes me swoon, and his songwriting makes me listen, his delivery and catchy hooks make me wanna sing along. This young man has a bright future, hopefully another one with Cassie Ramone.
- Alright, these are getting too long. If you like Mark Kozelek or Sun Kil Moon, you’re going to love The Hotel Alexis. From the moment I heard this guy it was like the long lost ghost of the former! “Raised on Fire” is a beautiful and haunting full length that cuts no corners in its 8 tracks. It can be listened to time and time again and every listen you will love it more.
- God damn you Art is Hard Records, stop being so amazing. I’m going to have to just start doing direct deposit of my paychecks into the AIH account. Soppy, poppy, bedroom gems from the UK. More, that’s all we want.
- Thanks to the Drowned In Sound: Inbox Gold series, I was lucky enough to turn over a rock and find this. Now if any of the links they provide would actually send me somewhere to buy this shit, because it’s nowhere to be found on iTunes, or anywhere else for that matter. It’s weird. Do you want my money or not? This music vid kicks ass too btw, you should watch it with the link above!
- Saw these amazing gentleman on a circus stage nestled in the woods at Outside Lands in San Francisco a few years back. Loved them, forgot about them, re-discovered them, love them again. Bluegrass goodness out of S.F. Thanks to the boys over at Jam in the Van for making these awesome sessions happen.
Didn’t really shoot a whole lot while we were here but Christmas 2013 was a pretty special one spending it with @clbcreative and acpuke out in the desert.
It basically consisted of a excessive delicious food and alcohol and the hot tub in the cold windy nights. What a way to celebrate our Jesus’ birthday! And thanks to two of my best friends for having me and Molly along.
Oh yeah, I think we all got bed bugs from this cabin too but I guess it was worth it.
Check out more polished turds over at my Flickr. I don’t even really use Flickr much anymore because the new layout kinda sucks ass, but that’s beside the point I guess.
When me and Richard started the label we never quite anticipated the weekend’s spent with fingers glued to laptops, the impending doom of company tax returns and just how bad the ratio is of those who enjoy music, compared to those who actually pay for it. Despite all of this we wouldn’t…
Probably my favorite moment of her performance at the Bootleg Theater in Los Angeles last night! A Lemonheads cover that I was completely unaware of until the moment of this song and thankfully for us there was already an amazing recording of it!
it took me quite a long time to actually get passed the hook of this song and just listen to the lyrics, even after the first time i saw these dudes play live on the smallest stage ever at Sasquatch 2011. Anyways, i love it and this is a great interview/performance of it..
Would it scare you if I said we were already one sixth through the year? One extra month and it’s a quarter. Add another and it’ll be a third. Time sure flies huh, and we hate to waste it - that’s why we’re treating this week like any other we’ve encountered this year; new releases, new…
Had a little time to kill the other evening before a meeting in Santa Monica so I decided to jump down and shoot the sunset at the pier.
I’ve never shot here before as I try to avoid tourist destinations but the local crowd and personalities that call that place home made for some interesting subject matter. Considering the amount of time it has been since I really attempted to take a legit photo, I was pretty stoked on how a couple of these worked out.
You should probably get off your ass and go check out this FREE residency while you still have the chance.
Kera & the Lesbians @ The Echo // Feb 2014 Monday Residency